Friday 14 January 2011

New Years Work Plan.

Ok, so I said I'd work harder this year as my resolution and though that's not wrong, I have been working harder, just not hard enough.
I've been trying to draw something every day, getting bored of one drawing and moving onto the next through two hours. As for 3D it's really not gotten anywhere. Did some self-directed personal work the other day which I was surprised I could spend three hours on 3D and actually enjoy it. What were the seven signs of the apocalypse?

Though ultimatley working harder, as stated above, I feel I havn't worked hard enough and the reason for this I feel is: no structure. I seem to wake up one morning and say 'hmm, I really need to do some drawing today.' Then spend the rest of the day assuming I'll get to it ending up going to bed surprised I didn't. Something's up there.

So now I'm not necessarily planning my days individually; planning every detail. Instead, I've just constructed a brief list of things I will do EVERY day... and you will, won't you Scott?! Hmmmm? Yeah, that's what I thought.
So the very brief list is:
- 1x Watercolour painting
- 1x Page of drawing in A3 sketchbook from stilllife.
- 1x 3D asset in 3DS Max.
- 1x Blog entry.

Now this is all relative to my skill so I won't be painting amazing watercolour paintings, nor will I be creating vehicles or people in 3D, just simple assets. On top of that this is just the minimum so there should be room for more work if I feel so inclined... which you will, won't you Scott? Hmmm, damn right.

As for the blog entry I'm feeling a little... meh, about this one. Not that I don't want to write in my blog, just 1 blog entry a day might be a tad much. It'll be too much like twitter. At any rate my idea was to upload all the work I do on that day to my blog so I keep myself working as all the work I do in that day will be on display. Therefore a poor amount of work, or even none (Don't you dare!) would look terrible. On a side note it might even improve my writing skills which is something I actually happen to care a lot about. I've not written much so naturally it's not too brilliant.

There are other things I really want to be able to do and like drawing, painting and 3D I have a problem with concentration and motivation due to the scope between my skill and where I want to be. Like Mandarin for example. I bought a beginner's book several months back and have barely studied it. I planned to learn so much at Uni however it's so much work. As the saying goes: all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. I want to wake up every morning and be able to look forward to the work instead of waking up yet too crushed to get out of bed by the impending work load with no fun involved. Howbeit if I want to be a game artist any time not drawing/painting/3D is just adding more time between me and the job of my dreams.

It's odd how I don't see drawing as entertainment and something worthwhile for a break. Probably due to 100% chance of frustration.

Grrrrrrr. I'm a tiger.

No comments:

Post a Comment